Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Daily Journaling for Wednesday 9th of September 2009


First Will Be Last

S - "But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30


O - There is a reward coming for those who have put God first over money, family, and power. There is a time coming when those who have sacrificed will be given a hundred times as much and eternal life. But, and it's a bug but - many who are first will be last. There's many surprises in store. I see in these two chapters the need to come to Christ as a child, to treat children or those without power with love and respect, to no hinder their growth, to forgive and forgive again and again, to take seriously the commitment to love in marriage even when it's hard, and to put God first not money.  These are what it means to be last. We come surrendered to God, as a child. Not like pious religious people who think that they can earn their way to God.

A - God wants me to be last, to come as a child. I need to always remember that God is sovereign and I am not! He is Lord, and I am a helpless child. Any good in me is because God is good. Today I will seek to see others as those who are precious. I will serve the vulnerable, forgive, love, and live as last. Starting this morning and right up to tonight with my family help me serve with loving thankfulness.

P - Father, you have forgiven me an enormous debt. I am so thankful. Today help me live as your thankful child, dependent on you, and doing your bidding. Amen.

Daily Reading - Matthew 18-19

3 comments:

  1. Attitude Towards The Vulnerable

    S - "Some children were brought to Jesus so he could lay hands in them and pray for them. The disciples told them not to bother him" Matthew19:13

    O - All through this chapter we see Our Lord instructing us as to how to treat others, particularly those who are the most vulnerable in society (women, and making it more difficult to divorce, and children). Both these groups in Old Testament times, and also today, (perhaps not so much in our developed nations), are the poorest and most vulnerable still. Jesus, unearths a common and deep prejudice against the most vulnerable. They are not to bother him! It seems as if even in Jesus' day, children were often seen as unwanted interruptions to adult endeavours. But radically, Jesus responds with a reply and an action. In the next two verses He says "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these". And then he put his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left. Matthew 19:13 . What a contrast to the disciples' attitude! Jesus was not only highlighting the importance of children, he was also highlighting how our attitude should be towards them, as well as our attitude towards faith in him. These little children had a guileless faith, and that is how our faith should be. This is in contrast to the Pharisees who were sophisticated and the disciples who were prejudiced. Jesus was "bothered" by those who were less sophisticated, and was "bothered" by the vulnerable. Jesus even "blessed" the children's attitude by laying hands on them. How significant and important he made them feel!

    A - I am reminded that not everyone has had the same opportunities, education, family life, and influence that I have. As an educated adult woman, I have been given great privileges; yet Jesus does not really care about that. What he cares about is how I treat those who are more vulnerable than I, and how I trust him. My faith and attitude should be as accepting as little children.

    P - Dear Jesus, help me to remain open, accepting, and childlike in my faith. Help me to be a blessings to others who are more vulnerable than I. I love you Jesus. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ASK AND IT WILL BE DONE
    Matthew 18 v 4 'Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven'.....v19 'Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in Heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.'

    O Jesus reminds us to be humble and have a childlike faith and WE WILL BE greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. Then in v19 if 2 agree ASK and it will be done.

    A Today I received the sad news that my Aunty Marg (my mums only sister) passed away, while shedding tears at this loss... Then Aunty Margs eldest daughter Mary, arrives in Wang to hear her mother has passed away, Mary gets wobbly at the knees and is taken to hospital where she has a massive brain haemorage and is placed on life support, there is nothing that can be done. Oh Dear Lord how can this be, I ask for your help in this time of trouble, I ask for your help for the whole family. Lord have mercy and compassion in this time of grief.

    P Dear Lord as I visit the family tomorrow, give me the words to comfort. Let me be humble. Thank you Jesus that you will be with me. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you Nanny Chris! May God strengthen you at this time.

    ReplyDelete