Thursday, September 17, 2009

Daily Journal for Thursday 17th of September 2009


What Gets Jesus Angry?

S - He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, "Stretch our your hand." He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus. Mark 3:5-6

O - Jesus gets angry! He gets deeply distressed. The words here describe an intense feeling of deep anger and anxiousness. What makes him feel this way? Stubborn hearts. The hearts of those who search for reasons to accuse and judge people for minor issues when the actions they are doing are very good. Legalism, judgemental attitudes, looking down on others and making finger-pointing accusations, all make Jesus very mad.

So what's Jesus' response? He does the 'very good' anyway. He heals even though he knows he's going to get opposed and hated more. He will not be dictated to and intimidated by those who claim superiority because of their legalistic behaviour.

Their response? They make plans to kill him.

A - Jesus models to me that I must do what's right even if people criticise or judge me for it. It is always right to preach your Word, to reach lost people, to show love, to care for the poor, to help those unfairly treated. If I get opposed for do what God wants, I must not be concerned or pull back. I must do it anyway!

P - Lord, may I live my life today before an audience of one. I want to please you and you alone. Help me stand firm on you word no matter what. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Getting Rid Of Division

    S - If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand"...In fact, no-one can enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can rob his house" Mark
    O - I was speaking on relationships and the Life Cycle in Sydney this weekend. What I learned is that the church has an incredible mandate to help educate, influence and transform individuals and families to become more Christlike, and therefore more healthy and moral. Neither families or individuals themselves will endure if they are divided. With families, division occurs primarily through conflict in relationships. In individuals the conflict occurs within the inner self. If shame, anger, bitterness, envy, pride, lust, and fear are allowed to dominate then, then that person will not stand. Jesus gives us a divine plan for recovery.
    1. Identify the problem to be rid of
    2. Bind up, tie up, or deal with it
    3. Then get rid of it.
    Families and individuals have to be open to this process and then recovery will occur.
    A - I can think of nothing more exciting than to serve the family of God and to encourage unity and wholeness. But first I know I have to open myself continuously to the Holy Spirit's refining work in my life to create wholeness instead of division.
    P - Lord help me to continue to be open to your Spirit so that I can be used by you, and not be the cause of division in my own life or in the life of others'. Amen
    Daily Reading for Mark Chapters 2&3

    ReplyDelete