Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Daily Journaling for Tuesday 29th of September 2009

S - "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31


O - This verse is so well known. It makes such sense too. Here Jesus teaches us what we all know deep down we should do. I hate to be treated badly. I want to be appreciated, respected, loved, listened to. That's what I want so that's what I should do to others. This is the heart of what it means to be a servant. To think of the other person's needs and what they would want you to do to them and to then do those things, actually honours the other. Do this shows that I value them and see them as a person of worth, made in God's image. This thought reminds me of Philippians 2:4-5 'Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.' This was just what Jesus himself did by leaving heaven, suffering and dying for us so we could be forgiven and really live.

A - How can I serve others more? I'm 40 years old. What will I give the rest of my life to? I will I love God and love others, while seeking to lead a church where God transforms lives. I will preach so that those who hear and respond thrive! These things are what I would love done to me. In my family I will love my wife how I know she would love to be loved, and my kids I will spend time thinking how I can treat them how I would have loved to be treated as a kid. I'll spend time intentionally thinking about specific changes I can make as a result of this verse today.

P - Thanks God, for your Word which constantly challenges me to live differently. Give me the strength, courage and wisdom to do to others as I would have them do to me. Amen.

Daily Readings Luke 5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment