Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Daily Journal Wednesday 31st March 2010


Don't Neglect the Word!

S - So the twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, "It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables..." Acts 6:2

O - The number of disciples were increasing greatly and the demand on the apostles were increasing. When people complained that their needs we're being adequately met, the twelve apostles, instead of just reacting and trying to stretch themselves further took a moment to consider priorities. "Would doing more in serving people by waiting tables cause us to neglect the ministry of the word of God?" they wondered. "Then this would not be right."

A - I would guess that many, many pastors would be lamenting a scripture like this. Today so many have neglected the word of God and preparing diligently in their preaching and teaching of it because of the many demands of 'running' a church. Whether it's a pastors unwillingness to ask gifted administrators, the high expectations that churches can have on their pastor to do everything, or the pastor's inner need to be needed, the end result is the tragic same - the ministry of word of God is neglected.

Today, our associate pastor is in Africa and there are many pastoral needs for me to attend. There are administrative tasks needing to be done. I have responsibilities for mentoring and meeting with leaders. Yet this weekend I will give two of the most significant messages I will be asked to give. "The Death the Leads to Life" on Good Friday and "Alive!" on Easter Sunday. I am thankful for the preparation I have already put into these messages and am thankful that tomorrow is completely devoted to these two messages. I must take these words seriously. Never neglect the ministry of the word. Never allow good things to stop me from the very best.

P - Father, thank-you for revealing yourself through your word. Help me to not neglect it, to always be well prepared and studied. As I diligently prepare in the midst of a busy week, speak to your people through your word and change lives I pray. Amen.

Daily Reading - Acts 6

No comments:

Post a Comment