Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Daily Journal Wednesday 24th of March 2010


The Influence of a Crowd

S - From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar." John 19:12

O - The crowd can be very influential. The crowd gathers, someone yells, others join in and before long the momentum begins and the shouting turns to violence and the violence turns to death. Their arguments were aimed at causing fear in Pilate. "You are no friend of Caesar" was a threat that if he didn't do what they wanted he would be defying Caesar by saying that Jesus was King and they only acknowledged Caesar. Pilate, an influential figure is swayed by the crowd. Pilate, who is worried and concerned about who Jesus really is, disengages from his questions and concerns, buries his enquiry, and follows the crowd!

Recently the Global Atheists Convention in Melbourne saw 2,500 people give Richard Dawkins a heros welcome as they listened intently to him talk claiming that those have faith in God are stupid...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/dawkins-preaches-to-the-deluded-against-the-divine/story-e6frg6zo-1225841086925

Last Friday in Oakleigh, more than 2,000 protesters stood by and cheered as a protest about a cancelled race turned into a riot. Windows were smashed, cars damaged and people taking pictures punched, all to the cheers and excitement of a crowd hungry for action.

A - Today there are crowds of people who claim to know the important and unimportant things in life. Some shout loudly to me about needing more, about looking better, about becoming stronger. Others look at me with disdain if I don't agree with a moral position the hold or if I don't accept their behaviour. The big question is who am I following? The crowds aren't always right. In fact they are most often wrong.

Jesus said, "Come follow me." He didn't try to whip us up into a frenzy. He didn't try to stir up an irrational response. In fact the call is to leave the crowd, to obey whatever the cost, to trust whatever the circumstances, to share whatever the response. He calls us to follow even when no-one else follows.

Today I will be more aware of the crowd and their cry. Today I will ensure that I don't blindly follow. Today I will think more about how and what practical steps I am taking to follow Jesus' call.

- Father, help me follow you with my mind, my intellect, my will, my heart, my spirit. With all I am.

Daily Reading - John 19

No comments:

Post a Comment