Thursday, March 18, 2010

Daily Journal Thursday 18th of March 2010


What to do with power

S - Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God. John 13:3

O - Jesus knew, he understood and grasped that God had put 'all things,' everything, all authority, all control, under his own power. So what did he do? He washed the disciples feet. He showed them that he would use the power he had been given for the benefit of others. He would be crucified, and rise again and down through the ages whoever believes in him is forgiven, set free and given eternal life. What a way to use power!

A - In meetings, in family discussions, at crucial times in people's lives I can become aware that for what ever reason I have become the person in the room with the most power. Whether it is because of the trust others have for me, the experience I may have had, or the position I hold, the words I say next I know will hold great power. They may change the minds of people in the meeting, they may affect the way our family moves, they may be acted on by a person seeking wisdom in a difficult relationship. How should I act then?

I must leverage my power for the benefit of others. When I am the most powerful person in the room I must leverage my power in a way that serves the good of those in the room, in the church, in the family. This is what Jesus did. I must follow his incredible example.

P - Father, today, help me be like Jesus. Whenever I am given authority or power, help me to use it for the benefit of others, just like Jesus did, washing his disciples' feet. Just like Jesus did, dying on a cross.

Daily reading - John 13

My thoughts in today's reflections are shaped and influenced by Andy Stanley's Leadership Podcast for March "The Most Powerful Person in the Room" - it's free from itunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment