Monday, February 1, 2010

Daily Journal for Tuesday 2nd of February 2010


Jesus says "Stop setting limits on me!"


S - "If you can?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for one who believes." Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:23-24

O - Since childhood a father had helplessly watched his own son suffer. He had witnessed the demon seizing his son, he had felt inadequate and overwhelmed as the boy convulsed, being thrown toward a fire, or into water, trying to kill him. To a desperate father who had faced the problem every day, Jesus' questioning of the man's willingness to believe might seem harsh. But Jesus is calling him to have faith that God can do anything - even heal his son. By saying, "Everything is possible for one who believes," Jesus is showing him that the question is not whether Jesus could heal (he could), but rather, does the father have the faith to believe it? The TNIV Study Bible adds, "A person who truly believes will set no limits on what God can do." The father's response is beautiful! "I do believe," (ie 'I have a little faith, just a small mustard seed sized kind of faith). "Help me overcome my unbelief." That was enough!

- Jesus wants me to have faith, to believe, to not set limits on what he can do because everything is possible. I have needs. I have longings. So many people I know would find life so much more manageable if they were healed from their sickness and oppression. I believe that I need to increase my faith in my prayers for these people. I need Jesus to help me overcome my unbelief.

P - Father, I believe you can do anything but I believe it only a little. Grow my faith, help me keep praying, help me overcome my doubts.

Daily Reading - Mark 9

No comments:

Post a Comment