Thursday, February 25, 2010

Daily Journal for Friday 26th of February 2010


Just Doing My Job

S - "So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'" Luke 17:10

O - Jesus instructs his followers to do their duty, to be faithful in service, obedient to the instructions given, and trustworthy in getting everything done - and then don't ask for a medal! Why? Because you've really only done what everyone should do. Don't think you should be fussed over for doing what you're asked.

A - The fact that today, many people don't do what they say, don't finish a job, don't turn up on time, don't stay till knock off time, should not make me think that just because I actually do those things I deserve recognition because of it.

So many people have a misplaced justice streak. "I have done all of this and that is the thanks I get?" Many who have felt unloved or not valued in their family of origin can grow up getting hurt or upset when people don't appreciate them enough. Often the reason they try to do a good job is so that people will love and value them.

The key is that I am to do a great job whether I am thanked or not. If I recognize that ultimately I'm working for God and his glory I can know he sees and notices even if no-one else does. Just doing what you've been asked with excellence should be my desire no matter who I am working for!

P - Father, as I do many tasks today, help me to do them joyfully and with excellence. Holy Spirit, prompt me to do what my employer requires to the best of my ability regardless of the thanks or absence of thanks. And in all this may you be glorified. Amen.

Daily Reading - Luke 17

No comments:

Post a Comment