Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Daily Journal for Wednesday 24th of February 2010


Everything I Have Is Yours

S - " 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.' " Luke 15:31

O - The older brother had been 'slaving away' for years, never disobeying his father's orders. In his mind the father had never given him anything. Yet the father's response is, 'everything I have is yours.' How could the son have gotten it so wrong? Instead of not giving him anything he had given him everything. He was slaving to get the father's stuff when the father had longed for him to know that he was his much loved son and because of that there's nothing that he had to slave for - it was already his.

A - 'See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called Children of God!' (1 John 3:1). Jesus told the story in Luke 15 as a warning to the Pharisees who judged others and tried to control God by doing good and demanding blessings from him. I must never get mixed up in my motives. My acts of kindness are not to be done to earn God's favour, but rather, because God has shown me favour, not to gain God's stuff but because God has given me everything in him. I have received the Father's love, grace and mercy through Jesus death and resurrection. The Holy Spirit empowers, strengthens, and lives in me. I have everything! Today I will delight in serving my generous Father!

P - Thank-you Father. You have loved me and given me a glorious inheritance. Receive my service that flows from my knowing and experiencing your lavish love! Amen.

Daily Reading - Luke 15

No comments:

Post a Comment