Sunday, January 31, 2010

Daily Journal for Monday 1st of February 2010


How to Be A Disciple

S - Then he (Jesus) called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." TNIV Mark 8:34

O - There was a crowd which means there were lots of people. There was a call that Jesus made to them, "Come follow me!" There was a cost - it cost everything. Deny yourself means to cease making yourself the object of your life and actions. To take up your cross was to live as someone condemned to death and required to carry the beam of their own cross to the place of execution. Following Jesus required total surrender. Not everyone was willing!

A - How hard we find it to deny ourselves. I find it difficult to let go and surrender to God. How hard it is to die to self and to do whatever the Father says. The Pharisees had turned faith into rules to earn God's approval. As a pastor, help me to never try to control you or tell you what to do! I want to spend all of today remembering, that I am your servant. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Jesus you live in me.

P - Father, I want to do your bidding. What ever you ask of me I will do. I want to serve you, be your disciple and follow you, today, tomorrow, and for all of my days. Amen

Daily Reading - Mark 8

No comments:

Post a Comment