Monday, December 7, 2009

Daily Journal for Tuesday 8th of December 2009

THE MOST DREADFUL THING!

S - It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Hebrews 10:31

O - The recipients of the letter to the Hebrews were in danger of hardening their hearts, falling away, stopping meeting together and throwing away their confidence. The reason seems to be because they were facing persecution (Heb. 10:32-34). The writer explains in chapter 10 that Jesus has made it possible to be forgiven and come to God once and for all and he urges them to draw near to God.


Then the writer pens verse 31. "It is a dreadful thing." I've experienced dreadful things happening to others like tsunamis, car accidents and abuse. There's a horror and fear perhaps like when you realise your child is missing in a crowd. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. We won't have to give an account of our lives to our mockers or persecutors, the media or our friends but we will have to give an account to God. To be unprepared, fallen away, to have thrown away your confidence - what a terrible, horrible thing! The living God will judge justly. Nothing but the blood of Jesus will save me.

A - Who is trying to shape my life? Who are I most in danger of following? It's it the desire to have more? Is it the influence of my friends, or the television's thoughts and influences? God has made a way for what is most important. Now that I have been covered with the blood of Jesus, once for all, I want to live everyday obeying, serving, loving, the God I have drawn near to in Christ. Today I live without fear, without hard hearts  - but with confidence that God is my God and Christ has taken the dreadful punishment I deserved on himself.

P - Father, thank-you. This verse gives me just a glimpse of the horror you have saved me from. You are good to me. Help me to share this good news with others so that they can be saved too. Amen.

Daily Reading - Hebrews 9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment