Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Daily Journal for Thursday 3rd of December 2009

LETTING GOD'S GIFTS BURN BRIGHTLY

S - For this reason, I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 



O - Fan into flame, Paul says, the gift of God. This may've been his spiritual gift or his calling as a pastor which was recognised when Paul laid hands on him and prayed for him. Whatever it was, Timothy was not to let the smoldering embers go out, but to breathe fresh wind onto the gift so that it ignites into flames and gets stronger. Gifts aren't given fully developed. We need to use them and become more and more skilled in using them. Timothy was to do this facing any fear with courage, having faith in God's power, showing great love and self-discipline.

A - One of the key gifts I've been given is the call from God and from the congregation to be their pastor. I must continue to fan into flame this gift. The other is the gift of preaching. Is it a hugely important gift that can easily be neglected. I must continually fan this gift into flame, so that many, many others will hear and respond to the good news of the gospel.

P - Father, I feel I have a rare responsibility. The opportunity to speak to hundreds of people each week who are coming to hear your voice. Help me to guard this gift and fan it into flame. Amen

Daily Reading - 1 Timothy 5 - 2 Timothy 1

No comments:

Post a Comment