Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Daily Journal for Wednesday 18th November 2009

LOVE

S - "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres"
1 Cor 13: 4-7

O - This description of love is so complete, so radical and confronting. Here we have the what and the how of love, as well as the outcomes of love. What love should be? - patient and kind. How does it achieve this? By not boasting, being proud, rude, self-seeking, easily angered, keeping no record of wrongs, not delighting in evil, but rejoicing in truth. The outcomes of love should be, protection, trust, hope and perseverance in love, and love alone.

A - When I am confronted by this beautiful and amazing description of love, I am humbled and ashamed. So often my love pales into insignificance to this description. How I am challenged to be better at loving. I know i need all the strength that the Holy Spirit can give me in order to enable me to love as God intended.

P - Dear Jesus, please help me, by your Spirit to love more deeply and selflessly every day I pray.

Amen.

Daily Readings from 1 Corinthians Chapters 12 to 14

1 comment:

  1. S - Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 1 Corinthians 12:7


    O - God has given "each one" the gifts of the Spirit. The manifestation of the is the public display of, the work clearly seen. Each believer, every one has been given the Holy Spirit which is seen in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. These are given for the common good. These build up the church, the new community, the group of gathered people who share a common bond in Christ Jesus. These gifts should never be used in such a way that causes division or arrogance but used to benefit others and for God's glory.

    A - God has given me gifts! They are not for my benefit, they are for the benefit of others, building up the body. God gave them to me and when I used them, I'll be fulfilling his purposes and helping Jesus build his Church. I must use the gifts I been graciously given to the best of my ability.

    P - Thank-you Father for your love. Thank-you Jesus for making it possible to know and love the Father. Thank-you Holy Spirit for your wonderful gifts given to every believer for the common good! Amen.

    Daily Reading - 1 Corinthians 12-14

    ReplyDelete