Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Daily Journaling for Wednesday 21st October 2009

GOD'S GLORY

S - "Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? "Father, save me from this hour? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!" John 12:27-28

O - Jesus had just finished telling us that we must die to self (a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies), in order to produce a harvest. This is the expectation of a servant of God. Now he applies this teaching to himself. But here, he is talking literally about his physical death ( and possibly his spiritual death, which was the separation from God). How comforting to know that he too, experienced trouble and consternation when considering what lay ahead. Here Jesus has almost a "mini talking to himself " time., wrestling with his humanity and his divinity. But as expected, chooses to continue to obey and fulfil his purposes. And his purpose was not about his life (the seed dies), but his Father's glory.

A - The path to service and surrender to God is not always easy. There is often a huge cost.
The cost of family, friends, rejection, being misunderstood etc. But if we follow Jesus' example, there is a most wonderful result. The God of glory is glorified! Jesus' name is honoured! And others who shun Christ, might just sit up and listen when they see God in us.

P - Lord help me to take this daily challenge of choosing to die to my needs and my wants, and instead to make your purposes my delight and focus I pray. Amen.

Daily Readings John Chapters 12&13

No comments:

Post a Comment