Monday, July 5, 2010

Daily Journal for Tuesday 6th of July 2010

The Golden Rule

S - So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12

O - What simple yet profound words. Whatever I would wish that people would do for me, I should do for them. Treat people how you want to be treated. This appears easy and straight-forward. Everyone wants to be loved, valued and respected. I should do this to others.

The greater challenge is to do the things I know I would want others to do to me if I didn't know what I do know now! Two areas come to mind immediately. Firstly, now that I know Jesus is Lord, that he died and rose again, and that fulness of life is found only in him, if I didn't know that, I would want people to let me know. But some people would not want me to because they don't want to know. Or maybe it's just that they don't know. Because I have never met someone who has come to know Jesus who is not incredibly grateful to the person who let them know what they initially didn't want to know.

Secondly, I would also want people to speak the truth to me in love. Yet when I see something and want to share that with someone to help them, it can be painful and people sometimes don't want to face the very things that they 'need to know to grow.' These people would not want me to do to them what I would want them to do for me, because I would want people to tell me the hard things even if it hurt. Yet when people do learn and grow I have rarely found anyone who regretted getting healthier, just like a smoker never resents the fact that they gave up.

A - Do I really want to do to others the things that I would wish they would do unto me? If I do I will share with others about Jesus. If I want to do this I will speak the truth and seek to help people grow to be more like Jesus. If I really want to be more than just treating people 'nicely' I will do what I really believe is for their best. Sure they can say, "No thanks!" or "Back off!" but as long as I have genuinely tried, then I am living the golden rule. It's a harder rule than first expected!

P - Father, the Golden Rule is much harder than I realised. I'm going to need your help and your Holy Spirit's empowerment to really do for others what I wish others would do for me. Help!! Amen.

Daily Reading - Matthew 7

No comments:

Post a Comment