Monday, August 23, 2010

Daily Journal for Tuesday 24th of August 2010

Qualifications of a Disciple of Jesus

S - "You cannot be my disciple, unless you love me more than you live you father and mother, your wife and children, and your brothers and sisters. You cannot come with me unless you love me more than you love your own life." Luke 14:26

O - Jesus says words that are very difficult to hear. "You cannot be my disciple unless...", "You cannot come with me unless..." Here we can wonder, is this the same Jesus who said, "If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and rest."?

Jesus says that putting him second, third, or anywhere but first in our lives disqualifies us from being his disciples. This can make us feel like we've got prove ourselves by being better, being stronger, working harder, but notice what Jesus says... "unless you love me more than." It's not just about priorities, it's about having a deep love for Jesus. Unless I love him more than the people I love the most, my father and mother, my wife, my children, my brother and sister I can't be his disciple. This demands that I not only say he is Lord, but I love him as Lord more than even my own life. In order to genuinely love him I need to have adequate time worshipping him, praying with him, reading his words to me in the Bible, serving him, enjoying him.

This call from Christ is to not work harder, do more things, get busier. No it's much harder than that. I and called to reflect on God's love for me, live in it and ensure that I live my life with him first in everything. Then my parents, my family, my dearly loved friends will experience my love as it should be, flowing from God's love.

A - I need to continue to fan into flame my love for Jesus. I need to spend more time expressing my love in worship, prayer and in quiet reflection. I want to spend more time lost in wonder and worship, enjoying Jesus. This week instead of jogging a message playing on my ipod I will listen to my new Hillsong CD and respond with joy to God's love. I will also spend half a day on a hill in Wodonga, unhurriedly communicating in prayer and enjoying God's presence.

P - Father, thank-you for sending Jesus. Help me as I seek to continually love him first, even more than myself. Amen.

Daily Reading - Luke 14

No comments:

Post a Comment