Monday, May 3, 2010

Daily Journal Tuesday 4th May 2010


What we tolerate we become!

S - Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough. Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new batch - as you really are. For Christ our passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 1 Corinthians 5:6-7 (TNIV)

O - Sin, when left, when tolerated, when allowed to remain, can affect the whole person. A person who is holy becomes unholy when they boast, are sexually immoral, or when they slander. To think that sin does not matter is a grave error. It does! Like a little bit of yeast - it affects the whole batch. The same is true with sin.

The circumstances that Paul is addressing at Corinth are to do with sinful and immoral people who claim to be Christians but live a completely different way. Paul says, "Don't even eat with them" (v.11), and "expel them from among you" (v.13). Why? Because they can spoil the whole batch. They can affect the whole church.

A - What we tolerate we become. If I tolerate gossip I become a gossip. If I tolerate slander I become a slanderer. What our church tolerates we become. We must with firmness seek to address situations where people who claim to know Jesus act consistently in an unrepentantly sinful manner.

I must model in my own life an eagerness to confess my sin and turn from it. I must model this in my leadership too so that our church leaders and our church refuse tolerate what we don't want to become.

P - Father, I pray that you would help us as a church to be willing to address sin and as a result become the church you have in Christ declared us to be - your bride, pure and without blemish.

Daily Reading - 1 Corinthians 4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment